a
M

The Palace

Historical background, art and restoration

The areas

Exteriors and interiors

Contact

Via Garibaldi 48-50
26828 Turano Lodigiano (LO)

Tel: Tel. +39 340 400 0124
Mail: info@palazzocalderari.it
Web: www.palazzocalderari.it

The Palace

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND, ARCHITECTURE, RESTORATION AND ART

Historical background

Since 1675

It is the most historically important building in Turano and also the most architecturally significant, one of the most beautiful historic buildings in the Lodi area. It stands on the edge of the ancient paleoalveo of the Adda River, where a castle once stood. With the arrival of the Calderari in Turano in 1675, they refurbished the old structure, transforming it into a sumptuous countryside villa. Featuring spacious, decorated salons, a grand staircase leading to the upper floors with various rooms boasting expansive windows and doors, and two balconies offering sweeping views of the surrounding countryside and the
inner courtyard.

Fron 1800 to 1900

Over the years the palace changed hands to the Cima nobles, and in the late 1800s it was purchased by Pitoletti of Lodi.

In 1900, ownership of the property transferred to the
revered Canossian Mothers, who repurposed it as a
boarding school for the daughters of wealthy families
from Lodi. Subsequently, they established a needlework
school attended by local girls. Later, it was entrusted
to the Canossian Mothers as a shelter for deaf-mute
females and finally, it became a textile apprenticeship
workshop open to the young women of the area

From 1980 to the present

Faced with a shortage of vocations, In the mid-1980s, the remaining nuns were relocated, prompting the religious order to place the Palace on the market.
It was subsequently acquired by a private company, which initiated its restoration, ultimately restoring it to the splendor that we have the privilege of admiring today.

Architecture

A tall wooden door, , surmounted by a fresco depicting the coat of arms of the household, provides access to a large quadrangular courtyard, characterized by the presence of scenic porticoes with three arches, opening on each of the four sides (the only example in Lombardy).
The halls boast coffered walls and ceilings rich in Baroque-style frescoes that have been completely recovered and meticulously restored. On the ground floor, the Green Room stands out, overlooking the patio of the elegant courtyard on one side and the Noble Garden directly on the other. From this setting, additional frescoed rooms unfold, and in the eastern wing, a small chapel is nestled. Adjacent to the splendid hall, seven spacious rooms elegantly complete the offerings of the venue.

The grand staircase leads to the Salone delle Feste, whose restoration has unearthed valuable frescoes. Going down an evocative staircase with a wrought-iron balustrade, one enters a large garden located on the noble front of the villa, an ideal setting for receptions in every season. Meetings and conferences find at the palace multiple solutions from small to large numbers.

The restoration

Restoration and conservative rehabilitation of Palazzo Calderari

The palace stands upon the ruins of the ancient castle that once dominated the Lodi fiefdom of Turano. The sumptuous volumetric structure of the building and its elaborate pictorial embellishments are attributed to the Calderari family, to whom the Visconti relinquished the fiefdom.
Beginning in 1675, they transformed it into a symbol of prestige.
Following the extinction of the fiefdoms and the Calderari family, the palace endured a period of decline until 1997, when it was acquired by its current owners. Restoration work commenced, returning one of the most beautiful examples of 16th and 17th-century architecture to its former glory. The palace, with its quadrangular layout organized around a central courtyard, features a “noble” section boasting spacious, decorated halls overlooking the Adda River, and a “colonial” part accessible through an arched portal.

View the building before and after renovations by moving the cursors left and right on the image

South side

East side and courtyard

Music Room

Detail of medallion with figures found (in good condition compared to most of the other frescoes).

Ballroom

Restoration phase. After painstaking discialbo work, the ancient paintings were brought back to light.

Art and frescoes

The final result was achieved after careful research of the original colors and shapes.